Friday, June 1, 2007

A Day in the Sun


We went to playgroup at Jamie's house today. Their yard is very nice. They have an inground pool. Their grassy area is somewhat shaded, which is very nice in the heat. Linda got in the pool a little bit. The water was quite chilly. I think we are making progress.

After her nap, we went to Redwing park. Mary was supposed to meet us there, but wasn't able to. Linda likes this park. I like the trees around to provide shade, especially since I try to avoid sunscreen.

The attitude we checked at 8-9 months has returned full force. When she gets upset, her arms flail all over the place. Today she had a full blown tantrum. She was in the swing and wanted to get down. Another mom had asked me to watch her son real quick. I didn't want Linda down so it would be easier to watch them both. Linda said down please. When I told her to wait she freeked. Her arms and legs went all over, and she was screaming. I turned my back on her and waited until she stopped. There was no way in hell she was getting down while doing that. I told Tom Linda has the wrong mommy if she thinks I'll give in to a tantrum. It's not happening. After she was done (45 seconds or so), I went back over to her and had her say "mama, I'm sorry I had a tantrum. Please forgive me. Please let me down." I don't think she understood all of that, but she will eventually learn that she needs to apologize and mean it when her behavior is unacceptable. She started w/a tantrum tonight when I was reading her books also. We were reading an alphabet book. We were on Q. She was done w/the book. I'm a big "once you start something you finish it" person. So I told her we needed to finish the book, but I would hurry. Apparently that was not acceptable to her. She threw herself and her arms and started whining. I picked her up, firmly put her on the floor, said no ma'am and walked out. You would have thought her world ended. She is still in the phase of wanting mommy around all the time. So if I leave her like that she hates it. It is very effective. She got the message. When she stopped crying I went back to her and we started up w/the book again. Wouldn't you know it, she sat very nice for the rest of book time. I'm hoping these are learning experiences. I know she is learning, and testing, and seeing what she can get away with. I'm just worn out by all the attitude. I will stay strong though.

Time for bed. You know you are a parent when it's a Fri night 9:30 and it's time for bed. Ha.

1 comment:

Pat said...

I was reading Linda's blog to John and he said she is just learning how to be a woman and get her own way. Leave it to a man. Love Pat K