Sunday, June 3, 2007

She Learns Too Fast

I'm beginning to think I can't even keep up w/her! Tonight we were sitting at the table eating some dinner. It started to rain. She turned around looked out the window (it was down) and said "rain." I couldn't believe it. I guess it shouldn't surprise me now. She learns so fast. I have talked to her about rain before. Today it was raining a lot.

After dinner I was showing her some alphabet flash cards. Previously I would show her one and ask her what letter it was. She was able to identify A,B,C. The other letters I would ask her what letter it was and she would say A,B, or C. I would say no that's not correct and tell her the correct letter. Tonight after I asked her what letter X was, she said A. I said that's not correct. Instead of telling her what letter it was, I asked her again. This time she said X. Then I went to the letter Y. Same thing. She said A the first time and then I asked her again and she said Y. We went up for her bath after that so I couldn't do anymore letters. I'm curious as to what letters she knows. I wonder why she says A the first time. We were in Wal-mart and I saw one of those LeapFrog Fridge Phonics w/the letters and numbers. I pushed a button and it started singing the ABC song, she sang some of the letters with it. I have been looking for one used for a while, but I can't seem to find one. Maybe Grandma can buy us one??? wink wink. She is learning to spell her name. I say to her, "Linda, how do you spell your name?" I've only been doing it for a few days. Today she said some letters, but they weren't in the proper order. That will be so cute when she learns that. The cool thing about her learning is I don't sit her down and say ok it's learning time. You must look at books and flash cards and learn colors and all that. We are out and about learning this stuff. You can tell she likes to learn. As long as she is doing that I'm going to follow her lead. I think a good start now will help her enjoy learning as she gets older. She loves to say her colors. It's funny how she can get a color wrong, but the word she says is still a color. She knows pink, purple, green, yellow, blue, and red. I've never really heard her say red very well. I don't know why she may have a problem saying that.

I also found out that she can count pretty good. We went to Garrette's baseball game Sat morning. Sierra was there talking to Linda. Linda was eating raisins. Sierra said you can only have one raisin. Linda said "two three." I count to her quite a bit too. She has said "ten" after the number nine for about 3 months now at least. But now she recognizes other numbers.

She learned some new animals tonight too. Tom was reading her a book. There was a toucan, seal, fox, and wolf (among many other animals, but she knows most of the other ones). She pointed to each of the animals and said their names. When she said wolf, she tilted her head back and howled. Tom said it was so funny. I taught her when she does coyote or wolf sound to tilt her head back. Too cute. When we read books now we point to the object and ask her what it is. When she was 11 months old she was pointing correctly at all the animals in her books. We would say Linda where is the elephant or whatever animal and she would point to it. She would do the sign for it too if she knew it. (She is still signing, but not as much since she has a huge vocab. I really should keep up w/it. She would p/u new signs so fast.) We since have gotten more books for her, w/harder animals. The "standard" animals just weren't challenging her anymore. She knows all her animal sounds.

She still LOVES music. She loves to sit at the piano and pound on the keys. I hope she continues to enjoy it. I really want her to take piano. She will dance at any time any where. It is so funny. She even tries to dance when she hears music while nursing. For mother's day Tom bought me portable speakers for my iPod. That is the best gift. I have loads of children's music on there. When we are outside I can use it. I even take it to the park when we go (almost everyday). She stands at the park dancing. People think it is so cute.

I hope everyone had a good weekend. I know we sure did.

No comments: