Friday, May 15, 2009

Homeschool Fire Safety Day






































Most of you know we are probably going to homeschool little Linda. Since we are leaning toward that direction, I decided to try to find some support groups and homeschool playgroups since the current playgroups Linda are in won't be appropriate for her as she gets older. I found a homeschool group that organizes field trips. Several of the field trips we aren't able to attend b/c they are at around 1pm. This field trip was early in the morning. It was organized thru the city, and I must say I'm impressed. They went all out for these kids. They had a fire truck, an ambulance, a monster fire truck. They had a fire safety trailer the kids went thru. It had three little rooms and the kids went into each room and identified problem areas (pot holder on burner, newspaper near fire place, etc) Then they practiced climbing out a window. The kids were told over and over not to hide when there is a fire. They were told to stop drop and roll if their clothes caught on fire. They were told to crawl on the floor when there is smoke. They even had a room set up they filled w/smoke and the kids crawled thru and climbed out a window! Linda knows her phone number and address so I had her practice saying it to the fireman. I thought this was very important instead of her just saying it to us all the time. Have I mentioned how grateful I am to live in this area? I am excited to take such a large part in Linda's education. These are the types of things she will be doing all the time to learn. I suspect at least 1/2 her education will be outside or going somewhere doing different things. I think it has really made her well rounded so far.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! Hands on is such a great way to learn...Aidan would have loved that!