Friday, March 13, 2009

Reading update




I sent Linda upstairs last night to get ready for bed while I took the dogs outside. When I was coming up the stairs I heard her in her room reading a book. Now anyone who follows this blog, knows that for the longest time I was thinking she is never going to sit down herself and read a book, all she is reading are individual words, etc. As you know, we made progress w/the program on the computer, and she was reading little books on there. But she still had never sat down to really read a book herself. She has taken several books, sat down w/them and made up the words, or if she is familiar w/the story she may just say the words she knows. Last night was the first time she sat down w/a book she didn't know, and read the words. You can see in the pic that she has her little index finger out and is pointing at the words she is going to read. The book she is reading is a reader book. I like these books very much. They are in a series. They have real pics on one page, and the other page they have one sentence, that is usually very simple and short. This book was called "Left." So anyway, I just wanted to share, b/c I am very excited. Hopefully this will be the start of her just grabbing a book and reading it. Her reader books are upstairs in her room, but I'm going to put some all throughout the house to encourage her. She is just the coolest kid!
The other pic is her using the Ariel she got for her birthday. She really is enjoying this present. She is such a tom boy in many ways, and then such a girl in other ways. She told me two days ago that she would like to take ballet classes, and daddy could take her. It was cute. But that is Linda, a real cutie!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!

Cherie said...

Holly,
You mention a program on the computer. I don't know what you are using, but have you ever been to starfall.com? It's a great site for the ABC's and reading. I'm sure Linda will only continue reading her books from here. Josh's favorite thing to do now is to read the scripture board books for our scripture reading. He just finished "My First BOok of Mormom Stories" and is so proud of himself when it's his night to read.