Friday, March 20, 2009

Open House at the Gym




The gym Linda goes to had an open house today. They invited members and non members. The weather was chilly today, so it was perfect. Linda had been talking about going to this open house for two weeks b/c Elmo was going to be there. When we arrived, Linda immediately asked where Elmo is. However, once Elmo came out, Linda was super shy. She decided she didn't want to get near Elmo. She did go up to him right before we left and told him bye, but still wouldn't get close. So I took a pic of my friend Lis' little boy w/Elmo.
We had yet another readig milestone occur today I think. Today is the first day that Linda read an entire book by herself. When I say by herself, she read all the words. I was sitting w/her. She did start to lose interest in the last couple pages, but finished it. She was very proud when she realized she had read the whole book. The book she read was Cats. Here are all the words she read. "See the cat in the hat. See the cat on the mat. See the cat in a lap. See the cat have a nap. See the cat in a jam. See the cat play (I had to help her w/the word play) with Pam. See the cat on her back. See the cat play (again needed help) with Jack. See the cat give a tug. See the cat hide under the rug." So again I'm so proud of her. I guess I should stop bragging about how well she is reading. This is just about the only place I feel I can really all out talk her up though.
I think we decided to not send Linda to preschool, at least this upcoming Sept. I had found a preschool that concentrated on art, dance, and music. It sounded really great. I found out that they don't allow parents to come into the school. This made me very uncomfortable. I haven't been able to find a "gifted" preschool in the area. I don't really know if Linda is gifted, but I do know since she is reading, a lot of the cirriculum would be quite a bit beneath her. so I think we are going to keep plugging away at home, and supplement her w/some rec center activities, and other local events. You always wonder if you are making the right decision w/your kids. I think this is what is right for Linda.


2 comments:

Mommymel said...

Ah! I forgot about Elmo's visit! So sad we missed it. I guess I got a little forgetful today!

Anonymous said...

I always hate when schools / preschools don;t want you to come around. I know it is because they don;t want to disturb kids, but it is also weird they don't want you around.