Monday, April 6, 2009

Reading update and French

We went to the library today and got some new books. Tonight while reading books, I pulled out a new book called "The Kite." She read it all the way thru! Here is the book: (* will denote words I helped her with) "See my kite. See it fly, fly, fly. See it fly so high*. See it fly in the sky. Will it touch* the trees? Will it touch the birds? Will it touch the clouds*? Will it touch the sky? See my kite. See it fly so high*. If I could* ride on my kite, I could* fly, fly, fly." I was surprised that at the end of the day she was able to read thru this book. She plays so hard each day, and is tired at the end of the day. I'm just so proud of her. She continues to recognize that she can learn things by reading. There was a loose insect card that had fallen away from the pack outside. She picked up the card and again didn't recognize the insect. She said what is that mommy? I said, well read the card Linda. It was a tick, and she read the word. We talked about ticks and how they suck out your blood like a mosquito. She said, "I don't think I would like having a tick bite me." We have also taken on beginning to learn French. So far she is interested in learning French. When we were reading the kite book and were on the tree page she said and pointed, "l'arbre." It was pretty cool for her to do that I thought. All the other times she has spoken words it has been w/my prompting. Please let me emphasize we are in the very beginning stages of learning the language. I'm not sure I'm going to continue teaching her or not. It's funny b/c I speak French at the moderate level, far from fluent. She wants to know what different words in French are. Some of them I just don't know, like grass (we looked it up tonight, and now we know it). It's just amazing to see her love of learning, from reading to insects to now French. She is so amazing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's really neat. Aidan and Syd ask me what things are in spanish all the time. I think it it from Aidan going to preschool in San Diego. Plus, Dora and Handy Manny. And our sister in law is from Columbia. I wish I knew more to help them out.