Sunday, June 21, 2009

Camping at the river













































































































We went camping this weekend and had such a wonderful time. Linda was so excited to go. We told her all about the different things she would be doing. The pictures are actually reversed, meaning the last picture should be first for sequence. It was in the mid 90s on Sat, so that was difficult. It wasn't bad if you were in the water down at the river though. She had a lot of fun w/Lynn on the kayak. Lynn was nervous b/c Linda is wiggly, and well it's a kayak, lol. The water at the river is only like 3' deep for way out. That made me feel better. I still made sure she wore her life vest at all times in the water. It was murky, and you couldn't see in it at all.
She was some sort of excited to go fishing as well. We got a free fishing pole (scooby doo) and she used that. The fish weren't biting very well. That could have been the time of day we went (4pm). I was w/them for a little bit and then started back to camp to work on dinner. No fish were caught, but she did hold a fish someone else caught.
She enjoyed her s'more so much. she doesn't get treats like that very much. We have taught her to savor her food. That is the pic w/her head back and her eyes closed. She is savoring it, lol. I told her she was getting one s'more. She was so excited. My dad leaned over and asked if he could have some. She immediately got up and offered him some. My heart just melted right there. Here's a kid that doesn't get a lot of junk. She is only getting one s'more, is asked to share it, and immediately shares. She is some amazing kid.
This morning we found some sort of crazy caterpillar that I had never seen before. Of course Linda was immediately picking it up. I love her interest in bugs. We were at the river and there was a bug I wasn't familiar with. She went to pick it up and I told her it might bite or sting, but she could pick it up if she wanted to. She bent down and picked it right up. I just love that. She has fear of some things in life, but definitely not bugs!
So we just really had a great time camping. I can't wait to do it again. And yes, she really is as dirty and greasy as she looks in the pics, lol. I think swimming in the river helped clean her off too, so imagine how grubby she would have been if she hadn't have gone in. She said the sweetest thing at prayer for lunch today. She was praying and said, "Thank you Heavenly Father for such a nice time camping." It melted my heart and I just started crying. We really have one very special little girl.









2 comments:

Duane Benedict said...

What fun! We've not yet gone real camping with our girls; only backyard camping. Fishing, swimming, and smores - what is not to love about those? On a couple of cold nights we made smores in our fireplace, but I always get too messy to take pics.

Anonymous said...

yum! Smores!